General skin care tips and recommendations from a dermatologist in Brooklyn, NY
Our skin is the largest and most exposed organ of the body. This is what makes it so critical to care for properly each day. Dr. Tatiana Khrom is a board-certified dermatologist in the area of Brooklyn, NY who can offer patients general skin care tips and recommendations for keeping the skin beautiful and healthy!
Skin care tips and recommendations
Obtaining skin care education from a board-certified dermatologist is the first step in achieving and maintaining healthy and gorgeous skin all year-round. Below are several recommendations from our dermatological team for keeping the skin beautiful:
- Eat properly. Your skin can be greatly impacted by what you eat. It is essential that a nutritional diet is followed. To achieve a youthful glow and healthy skin, patients should take note of foods high in fatty acids and omega 3’s. It is also best to avoid certain deep-fried vegetables and carbohydrates that can dull the skin’s appearance.
- Always use sunblock. Patients of all ages and of all activity levels should make sure they apply sunblock every day. This can protect the skin from the harsh sunlight and UVA and UVB rays that can greatly increase one’s risk for skin cancer. You should also remember to not only apply sunblock to the face with a high SPF product, but to do so on other exposed areas of the body, including the neck, chest, and hands.
- Maintain moisture in the skin. Skin that dries out may become extremely problematic, as this can trigger the body’s production of oils and result in oily skin. Instead, make sure you moisturize your skin every day with the proper hydrating products. If you notice your lips are dry, this is an early indication that it’s time for more moisture in the skin!
- Avoid hot showers. While a hot shower can feel amazing, it can also be incredibly damaging to the skin. It can strip the skin of its natural oils. Instead, patients should avoid these hot showers and turn down the temperature. After a shower, apply a moisturizer to lock in the water and keep the skin hydrated.
- Hydrate from the inside out. When we think of hydrating the skin, we often think of moisturizing lotions. However, patients can also benefit from hydrating their body. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain hydration levels, which in turn can have a positive effect on your skin and body.
- Use the right products. Many patients are overwhelmed at the products available over the counter at their local drugstore. There are so many facial washes, cleansers, moisturizers, and other miracle workers that it can be impossible to know which is right for you. By working with a board-certified dermatologist, patients can find the products best suited for their skin and make smart choices.
- Avoid expired products. Skincare products expire for a reason. Take note of when you purchased the product if it does not already have an expiration date printed on the container. When the product reaches that date, throw it away and purchase a new container.
- Do a patch test before using new products. Another thing many patients forget to do is patch test a product before they use it all over their face or body. Patch testing allows a patient to try a product to ensure they are not allergic to any of the ingredients—before applying it everywhere on their body.
- Change your skincare routine throughout the year, and as you age. Skin changes over time. The products you used when you were a teenager are not going to be the same products you use in your 40’s. Additionally, the changing seasons can change the way your skin reacts, so each season should have a special skin care regimen. A dermatologist can make recommendations as to products that are best suited for your skin’s type, the season, and your age.
Request an Appointment
Request an appointment today!
At the Art of Natural Beauty Center by Khrom Aesthetics, patients in the community of Brooklyn, NY can achieve beautiful, healthy-looking skin with the assistance of our board-certified dermatologist! Dr. Tatiana Khrom and her professional staff are pleased to offer a wide selection of treatment offerings, as well as overall advice on skin care tips and tricks. Contact the practice at 718-521-2913 to schedule a visit at 2797 Ocean Parkway.
Back to General Dermatology Page